Monday, November 07, 2005

11/7

I spent some time in two of my classes letting the kids discover new applications on their graphing calculators. It seemed that most of them will only use a calculator when told to or to play games. I was hoping that it would encourage them to try to learn some new functions that the calculator has that cna be beneficial. The class went well and everyone was working together to show each other how to use some of the different functions. I hope to expand this later to post functions on the internet with blogger but I think this was a good start. The students seemed to like the time in class to discover and almost eveyone said they learned something new that day.

3 Comments:

Blogger annes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:26 PM  
Blogger annes said...

Great job creating the time for them to explore. Sometimes, that is the most difficult aspect...finding the class time or giving up the class time.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think this was a great idea. It reminds me of my wife talking about using math manipulatives with elementary (and middle school) students. She always gave them 10 minutes or so to play with the manipulatives first (because they were going to play with them anyway), but she also found that they were much more willing to experiment with them later if they had that "play" time first.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home