Thursday, January 10, 2008

student focus

On the last day of the semester, we were reviewing for finals in my Algebra 2 classes. The previous day, there was a lot of talking and little work getting done. I allowed my classes to listen to their idods in class while they were working. I was amazed to find out that the music helped them focus on their work. I always thought that the music would be distracting to the students while they are focusing on their work and the opposite is true. They worked much better with music. I have decided that my classes will be allowed to listen to their music in class during the time that they are working individually on assignments. It seems to be working so far.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Steele-Maley said...

James,

Salient commentary. Any look at a coffee shop in the vicinity of Colby College in Maine to Whitman College in Walla Walla will tell us that the focus brought by being plugged into music is certain for students working hard and engaged in fruitful study. I allow my High School Students the opportunity to listen to their ipods during research or reading days as well. We have a lot to learn from those we seek to teach.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Averee said...

Mr. Holman,
Music is a big part of my life. As a teen, I listen to it; a lot. It’s relaxing, beautiful, and an escape from the stresses of daily life. I often listen to my music while I am doing homework, and when given the chance, I listen to it during school. I relax. The noise of the other students is wiped out, and I am in my own little world, ready to do my work without interruptions. It’s great to hear that your students take to it like I do. My sister is a psych major, and she has often told me that things like music can even help students retain what they learn. We sit during tests, and instead of remembering a jumble of words that make no sense; we remember our lesson from last week, which we put to words in our head. We hear the music, which helps us hear the words. Teachers always assume that music is a distraction, however, like you discovered, students succeed when they listen to music. It is wonderful to know that music is slowly working its way into our classrooms. Perhaps, with time, it will spread, and even more students will have the chance to use music to succeed in school.

-AvereeL

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home