Friday, October 13, 2006

10/13 - homework

I have been writing the homework assignment on the board at the start of class. Some students will come to class and write it in their planners before class starts. The question that I have been having is that some of the students will start on the homework when I start going over the lesson. This just decreases participation during the lesson and then some of them have extra time at the end of class with nothing to do. I have started to ask these kids when they are done to assist others who might have questions. I feel that if these kids can get through the homework during class on their own (mostly with a partner to ask questions to) that it should not be a bad thing. I guess that what I am struggling with is how to get the other kids that need help to ask questions while the others are asking in small groups.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

First, let me state that I'm probably not going to answer your question (so feel free to stop reading now). Second, the following in no way represents the opinions of AHS or LPS administration (radical idea alert, radical idea alert).

While I agree that it's not a bad thing that they are getting through it on their own, I think we have a bigger issue to deal with here. What this suggests to me is that these students (at least at some level) think the purpose of your class is to complete the homework assignment.

Since that is not the purpose of your class, how do we address this? I think one approach would be to do away with the homework. (Yes, you just heard the entire math department snap the points off their #2 pencils.) At least do away with homework as it is typically given. If they are learning the concepts by doing the "homework" in class, maybe you need to consider restructuring your class so that all of your students are doing the "homework" in class.

I know that pretty much takes you back to your original question about how to help the struggling students, but I thiink it may reframe the question in a way that allows you to possibly answer it in a different way. (Very Zen, I know, but that's what I've got at the moment.) See if you can figure out a way to rethink traditional "homework" and your class structure in a way that eliminates the need for the homework (or at least as much of the homework).

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home