Tuesday, November 22, 2005

11/22 grading

I have always thought of my grades as having an effort portion and a knowledge portion. I check homework for completion (effort) and quizzes and tests for knowlegde. The problem is that parents that do not come to back to school night or email do not know that this is how the grades work. I think that it would be beneficial for my gradebook to show that this is an effort grade and not a knowledge based homework assignment. I just need to figure out how to change my test grades so that they more accurately show the knowledge gained during each chapter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Crosby said...

I am glad that you are thinking about all of this, James! I am on the grading pilot committee and I have some examples from various teachers (including math teachers) on gradebook set-ups that show knowledge achievement. I would be happy to share those with you, if you would like.

12:25 AM  
Blogger annes said...

You could always write in the section of the gradebook on IC what the assignment was and what it was based upon. Maybe even come up with a coding system to simplify it so you don't have to type it out everytime but parents would know what the codes stood for.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Three math examples from Tony's PowerPoint to help with your thinking:

Academic Content Areas:
1.Number Patterns
2.Numeric Operations
3.Solving Equations
4. Lines
5.Systems of Equations
Non-academic Factors:
6.Responsibility

Academic Groups
1.Number sense
2.Algebraic Method
3.Data Analysis
4.Geometric
5.Problem-Solving
6.Computation
Non-Academic Groups
7.Responsibility

Algebra II
Academic Groups
1. Systems of Equations (10%)
2. Probability and Statistics (10%)
3. Monomials (15%)
4. Polynomials (15%)
5. Quadratic Function (20%)
6. Radicals (5%)
7. Rationals (5%)
Non-academic Groups
8. Student Responsibility (10%)
9. Classroom Decorum (10%)

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home