Thursday, August 17, 2006

8/17-first day

I am changing my grading in my Algebra classes this year. All the algebra teachers decided that all of us are going to give 3 common assessments throughout the year. They will all be cumulative and tests will be given to all algebra students. The grading for the semester will be as follows:
Participation 15%
Practice 15%
Assessments 20%
Review Test 1 15%
Review Test 2 15%
Final 20%
I decided today that I will allow all the students to make up any work on their assessments in order to better understand why they are missing problems. I am hoping that this will help students to better understand the work that we are doing in class and they will show how much they understand when they take the common assessments. All the studnets in class were happy to hear this and all said they would take advantage of this. How many actually will?

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Keep us posted (pun intended) - occasionally do a Take 5 on how this is going.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Missy Jonson said...

I think this is a great idea. I used to do this at Skyview, where I would allow students to redo the questions they missed and also make up some points if they did them correct and could tell and show me what they did wrong and how they corrected their answer. I found (completely different demographics and kids) that my students there didn't take advantage of it as I had hoped. However, I truely believe that the students at AHS are going to eat this up!!! Let us all know how it goes :)

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home