Tuesday, May 09, 2006

5/9

End of the year frustrations are setting in to my classes. I have been talking to my Advanced Algebra classes about this latest unit that we are doing. I have tried to show them applications of where they are going to use the math, but it has not seemed to make much of a difference. I gave them a quiz that many of them failed. I talked with them after because they have not been doing as well in their groups asking questions and staying on task. Many of the students have forgotten what has been working for them so far this semester. They are struggling to understand the material that we are talking about but can not see the connection with the lack of effort and questions to reach an understanding. I feel that I cannot (nor want) to hold their hands for the rest of the semester to make sure that they finish strong. I will continue to warn them and encourage them to stay on the righ track but I do not want to turn in to a babysitter. I want them to learn the material but at this point I feel like the students that are doing the work have an understanding. With the other students, I feel that I could spend the rest of the summer doing this same stuff and they might never ask a question. I do not want to hold up the other students to suffer because some of the students have decided not to work at the end of the year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barbara S. said...

Have you told your classes "I do not want to hold up the other students to suffer because some of" you "have decided not to work at the end of the year."??? I find that being truthful (blunt!) works best. That way students know when they fail why they failed! Just a thought...

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home