Thursday, December 15, 2005

12/15

I wonder how successful I would be if I had my students work in groups every day. I was thinking that I could have some homework problems, quizzes and tests where the grade would be based on 1 member of the team. Ideally this would have the students work together to make sure that everyone in the group knows what they are doing. The groups would need to stay around 2-4 people to be useful. If we are creating learning communities in our school for teachers to collaborate on ideas, why not try the same thing with students?

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara S. said...

Good idea! We are going to work on collaborative learning second semester with the 21C group so I am excited you are considering trying it! It has a real benefit when you assess the group by the performance of one member. It helps to get that quiet, 'I don't care' kid involved. Peer pressure can be a good thing!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Sounds interesting. I do think you'll need to structure it carefully so that you don't have the situation where 1 or 2 students really understand it and then the other 2 students simply copy it down. You'll need something built-in to make sure they are all working on understanding it, not just getting it done.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Davis said...

How innovative. I think you would need to figure out some way for the students to make certain each member knew the material, but wow, I love the idea that they are responsible for teaching, mentoring, tutoring, each other. Very cool, James.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home