Friday, January 27, 2006

1/27

I gave my Advanced Algebra classes a 5 question pop quiz today that covered what we have been talking about all week. They took most of the hour to do the 5 problems and some did now get finished. They were working with partners the whole time and asking a lot of questions. I talked with them at the end of the hour to discuss why they are asking more questions when they know it is a quiz and not on their homework. I asked them to change their focus onto learning each day instead of knowing for a test. I asked them to be more effective each day in class in exchange for me not collecting their quiz for a grade. All of the students got questions answered during class and I hope that my point came across that their learning is more important than their grade. We will see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristin L said...

That's great--you're teaching them how to assess their own learning instead of waiting for you to assess it for them.

3:28 PM  
Blogger annes said...

Maybe they can even grade each others and conference with one another about the mistakes. Just a suggestion.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home