Thursday, February 09, 2006

2/9

It has been too long since I have posted. I realize that I still have not posted my goals which I have written down, but need to blog. I changed my participation grade for each week. I am now giving each student a 10 out of 15 for the week that they can keep or lose while they are working with their partners. The other 5 points are earned throughout the week by asking questions in class, doing problems on the board, or keeping track of points for the day. I have 2 copies of the seating chart laminated and 2 students keep track of who participates for that day. The students who have the seating charts get 3 points for the day, doing a problem on the board gets 2 points, and raising your hand in class gets 1 point. It seems to be working well and I like that students are keeping track of their points for the week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

3 quick thoughts:

1. I like the participation part.

2. I like the students being more in control.

3. I have concerns about the focus on points. Especially by having a somewhat complicated system in place, it seems to get them to focus too much on what they need to do to get the points, as opposed to what they need to do to learn.

I still think it's a step in the right direction, and maybe my concern is overblown, so just take it under consideration.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Roger Hess said...

I hate to admit this, but I do think Karl has a point. I think as long as you feel that the grade provides good feedback, then you are doing the right thing. Do you feel that participation has increased as a result of your system?

2:53 PM  
Blogger James H said...

I have seen more participation by changing the way that points are given. My intentions were that this was a short term solution and that as I get further into the semester, I will not keep track of points. I think it relates to what some of the kids were saying that spoke last time. Some kids will not participate unless they have some reason. This will at least give them that initial reason.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home