Tuesday, March 21, 2006

3/21

Another test and another effort to change the norm. I had a test in my Algebra class last Monday. On Friday, I told the students that I was going to pass the test back to them to make corrections on it. Many of the students were able to find their own mistakes without me showing what they missed. I then allowed the students to work with a partner to try to make some further corrections on their test. The students did all the corrections in red pen so that I could see how many changes they made after the initial testing period. I then let the students grade their own tests. We determined as a class that each problem was going to worth 3 points and they would mark each problem where they missed and how many points off they deserve. I looked back over the tests to see how well the students graded their test and I only had to make a few corrections. The scores ranged from a 51% to a 101% and most students agreed that their score represented the amount of knowledge from Ch 9. All students agreed that they had a better understanding of the material after working on the test in that way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Wow! So, just to clarify, they could say they deserved a "minus 1" on a certain problem depending on the level of mistake they made? Basically they were figuring out their own "partial credit?"

They all agreed they had a better understanding because of this, but what do you think? Do you have any feeling at this point if that's accurate or not?

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home